Flood Coverage

Flood insurance is available whether you rent or own. It is also available for businesses. Each policy contains two types of flood insurance coverage through the National Flood Insurance Program:

  • Building property coverage

  • Personal property coverage

Building property coverage:

  • The insured building and its foundation.

  • The electrical and plumbing systems.

  • Central air conditioning equipment, furnaces, and water heaters.

  • Refrigerators, cooking stoves, and built-in appliances such as dishwashers.

  • Permanently installed carpeting over an unfinished floor.

  • Permanently installed paneling, wallboard, bookcases, and cabinets.

  • Window blinds.

  • Detached garages (up to 10 percent of building property coverage). 

  • Detached buildings (other than garages) require a separate building property policy.

  • Debris removal.

Personal property coverage:

  • Personal belongings such as clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment.

  • Curtains.

  • Portable and window air conditioners.

  • Portable microwave ovens and portable dishwashers.

  • Carpets not included in building coverage.

  • Washing machines and dryers.

  • Food freezers and the food in them.

  • Certain valuable items such as original artwork and furs (up to $2,500). 

What is not insured by either Building Property or Personal Property coverage:

  • Damage caused by moisture, mildew, or mold that could have been avoided by the property owner.

  • Currency, precious metals, and valuable papers such as stock certificates.

  • Property and belongings outside of a building such as trees, plants, wells, septic systems, walks, decks, patios, fences, seawalls, hot tubs, and swimming pools.

  • Living expenses such as temporary housing.

  • Financial losses caused by business interruption or loss of use of insured property.

  • Most self-propelled vehicles such as cars, including their parts (see Section IV.5 in your policy).

There is typically a waiting period before the coverage takes effect. Some coverage limits apply. Special limits apply in basements and crawl spaces.


Don’t get washed away by high waters. Contact your local agent to learn how a flood insurance policy can protect you.


Information provided by NFIP Summary of Coverage.pdf. A complete detail of coverage options will be listed in your NFIP policy

With Permission © Insurance Information Institute, Inc. - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.


FitzSimmons Insurance Agency offers access to federal flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program.

FloodSmart.gov is the National Flood insurance Program website offering consumers flood insurance information, flood risk scenarios, and safety tips.

P.O. Box 398 

116 N Main Street

Cunningham, Kansas  67035

Call us at 620-298-5291