Pasture, Rangeland, Forage (PRF)
The Pasture, Rangeland & Forage Insurance Program was developed to protect your haying and grazingland from dry conditions. It provides income to offset additional costs or lost profit potential associated with drought.
The program utilizes the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) long-term historical rainfall averages, and a numbered grid system (areas approx. 17X17 miles) that allows you to select the grids in which your operation lies.
Not all of your acreage must be insured—you can select those acres most important to your haying/grazing operation.
You make five decisions that determine your coverage:
1. How much of your acreage you wish to insure.
2. With the help of a grid ID locator map, you select the grid or grids in which your acreage is contained.
3. You determine to insure 60—150% of the established value for hayland or grazingland in your county...matching the value that most closely represents your operation.
4. You choose to insure between 70 and 90% (in 5% increments) of the rainfall index for your selected grid.
5. You select a minimum of two 2-month time periods to insure — periods that are most relevant to the success of your operation.